Sweet Memories

I am a career woman with one child, striving to find a better balance between life/work. I enjoy documenting memories, and am striving to get more creative with sharing them with others. I struggle with making decisions, and am seeking a stronger support system and want to learn from others' experiences. I want to connect more with those that have a sweet sensitive spirit.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

September 11

We all remember that day....we all know where we were, how we heard, what we saw...it is like yesterday. I had been home from the hospital after giving birth to a sweet little girl for only two days. I was holding her in the living room and it came on...the news...we watched the second tower live being hit....I handed the baby to my husband and started freaking out...my mom worked real close to Manhattan, just on the edge of Queens, my brothers' friends worked at the World Trade Center, my friends' friends/ I had not lived in New York for quite some years, having settled down in a small country town in Massachusetts. When Mark and I got our first place in New York, he bought a painting, one that sits over our mantle, of the New York City skyline, with the Twin Towers in the middle. My dream was to work in Manhattan, live there, maybe work for the United Nations. I have a degree in International Business and always dreamed of working in the city. My life changed somewhat and other decisions were made based on the one I decided to spend the rest of my life with.
Mark took Kayla, then handed her back to me, I asked him, wow, that guy is in a lot of trouble for doing that, what a jerk. He said, that wasnt a guy, that was a plot. He told me about the size of the plane that hit right away, he was in the Airforce and he said, you know, I might get sent away. He is in the Reserves. Luckily, he was not sent away. For the next few months, I kept CNN going all day long, it brough an extreme amount of stress to my days of having a new born home. One day I decided to turn it off. I think that was months later. I also remember hearing my brothers' voices on the other other end of the phone soon after the Towers were hit, they were crying....they couldn't stop...they thought the world was coming to an end. We couldnt get in touch with my mom for about 24 hours. She went into work and when she got there, she found out. The mentally ill people she worked with were running around out of control, that is how she found out. They were all connected to someone. I think we all were. A friend of mine, her husband worked there, and a few months before quit to get his Masters in teaching. His entire company was lost, and his best friend/neighbor who he worked with. The family has two children, her children's age, they go to school together now. They eventually found the man's body and send the family his wedding ring. These details you only hear when you know someone who knew someone. My friends son was sent to Iraq and lost his friend's life and lost some of his fingers as well. I was thinking of 9.11 all week and wanted to just get it out of my system. We read the articles all the time about how families are doing. I especially feel for the young children and the wifes that were pregnant. It is all so sad. I look at my painting and always wonder when I should get rid of it, it is painful to look at everyday. I wonder when my little girl will hear about her first days at home, probably in some history class.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Suzie Ridler said…

    Oh Sweet Memories, that is so hard. I can't imagine what that must have been like, to worry about family and friends like that. The fallout from that day has been horrendous for so many people. I understand why you need to honour that memory and what happened.

    (Thank you for stopping by my blog. I do bake a lot but that trellace with the butterfly is totally out of my league at the moment. Perhaps one day...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home