Sweet Memories

I am a career woman with one child, striving to find a better balance between life/work. I enjoy documenting memories, and am striving to get more creative with sharing them with others. I struggle with making decisions, and am seeking a stronger support system and want to learn from others' experiences. I want to connect more with those that have a sweet sensitive spirit.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Tuesdays Playdate

This morning, the stress began so early. Tuesday is my only day off during the week, so I try to get everything possibly imaginable done on Monday nights when I get home from work at 6:30. I cooked dinner when I got home last night, then moved all my airconditioners from downstairs to the upstairs because Mark has been so busy, I didn't want to bother him tonight. There were other things that he needed to do like fix my computer! He switched out my keyboard and then what do you know, my internet connection is broken! So we got Kayla to bed by 10pm and I wanted so badly to go food shopping. If someone could have delivered me a large caramel ice coffee with two sweet and lows and milk, I could have swung it, but my 'hair' was just terrible. My hair determines my mood. It was not good, so I went to sleep and got up at 6:30. I cleaned up a little, because there is always a good chance that the playdate winds up at my house, not that I mind, but it is my only day off and after I cleaned my house I wanted it to stay that way, so if I escaped for the day, I could come home to a nice organized, clean home. Aimee called, it would work for her if we got together at my house, because her cabinet guy was coming and her 160 lb dog needed to be with her somewhere else while they installed the cabinets. The only other choice was the beach, she could take the dog there. It was 9am and I had not taken a shower yet (yes, even when I am going to the beach, I have to take a shower, because my 'hair' is like sticking up all over the place) and it takes me at least an hour to get all ready for the beach, but the breaks on my truck have been worrying me and what if they don't work in the sand..I am nervous enough about driving on the beach...AND my legs are white and full of vericose veins...not enjoying the beach idea..I call Patti, she really doesn't want to go either. So, she says, she will make it easier, if I want to go, go with Aimee. I shower and call her back, I really don't want to go to the beach. Not beach ready. And when you get home, you have to wash your car so the salt doesn't do damage in the long run. So, Christine winds up keeping Aimee company. I apologize to Aimee but tell her it is just not a good idea to get together at my house because it is hot and I have no food. So, Patti invites me up. I tell her I will bring us salads, because that is the only playdate food we eat, probably the only salad we eat all week! I am bored with salads, and am running late to go to the supermarket to make a few salads, so I go to panera bread and getStrawberry Poppyseed & Chicken Salad
All-natural citrus-herb chicken, crisp romaine lettuce, fresh strawberries, blueberries, pineapple tidbits, Mandarin oranges, pecans and our sugar-free Poppyseed dressing.. I get Kayla a cookie and a Sierra mist for the way. When I get to Pattis house, the kids are so excited to see us. She comes over and gives me a great big hug, not a superficial hug, one that was the biggest squeeze and she didn't let go for a few seconds. I needed that! The kids go outside and play in the dino pool that they got at BJs. Kayla announces that she is in charge and makes everyone choose a dinosaur and informs them that these are their brothers, and they have to choose a name. Kayla chooses Roger, Olivia chooses Tyrannasaurus Rexy (can't even spell the darn thing) and Jillian chooses Helin. They each have a coordinating color ball for their brothers to play with and the have a tube that goes around their neck.. Each girl held tightly onto their items today. They made up stories and were so creative all day. This was an unusually relaxing playdate. Patti started telling me how much she wants to start beading and making jewelry but she does not know when she would have the time. I told her that this would have been the perfect day, we should have strung beads while they all played together. It has never been this great before. There is usually more fussy dynamics involved and yelling and rough housing. Today it was peaceful. I needed to get away from home and let someone take a little bit of care of me today. After outside play we went inside and beaded kids bracelets. Two of the girls chose to make theirs with their dinos names. Patti and I had a nice talk and we discussed how different it is to fit in now, to find balance, to not lose who you are and what you like to do. She said she mentioned to her husband, she wishes there was a women's club where she could meet people like herself. I said, hmmmm....and told her a little more about blogging. Patti knows me, she knows what my passions and loves are...she understands...she loves crafts and is very creative. I wish I lived closer and could spend some more time with her during the week. She mentioned if we had gone to the beach, it would not have been as relaxing, we would have had to deal with so many other distractions. Today was sweet, and I needed a day with her and her little angels. I got big bear hugs from her girls when I left, and from her again. We always hug hello and good bye. My other friends here with kids, we just don't. She is the only one, I miss that, we all used to do that in New York. I want to connect more with her on an art level and maybe get together and work on some projects. She came up with the most amazing centerpieces for her parents 50th wedding anniversary and I told her I would love to help, so we will get together and do that. I need more of this, I feel complete today and relaxed..and fulfilled...thank you Patti!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    yes, that is Patti, we have stayed close over the years and have connected just about every Tuesday....I asked her if I could post pictures and tell about our day, and she said yes! I like to ask now, because at first, I did not want my picture or any pictures of any one I knew, now that is all I post! My friend Aimee picks up and goes just about anywhere, I try to, but just have to make sure everything else is taken care of first...the beach to me is a lot of work..we go as a group, but we have to load everything and everyone up and then clean up...usually it is a disaster...I don't honestly know why I do it to myself...to please others? that seems to be my pattern...Kayla is pretty great at playing with the other kids, she gets along well with Patti's kids/ Patti is doing well, she is a wonderful mom and is just so at peace...I go to her for advice all the time for planning events, etc. and she has been my support when I get overwhelmed....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home